Free Weekly eNews
Search CRP News by keyword or phrase:
If you have any news, opinions or suggestions which you would like to offer to the publishers of CRP News, please click here to email the Editor. We value your contribution.
All editorial content © CRP News, published by
CRP Publications Ltd, Suite 210 91 Western Road, Brighton BN1 2LB
News - 8 July 2008
Children who break Asbos get longer sentences than adults
According to figures released by the Liberal Democrats, nearly half the children who breach Asbos are sent to prison - and their average sentence is significantly longer than that of adults who break Asbos.
The figures, contained in a Parliamentary Answer, showed how: ·
- Nearly 1,000 (986) children were sent to prison for breaching an ASBO between 2000 and 2006
- 42% of all children who breached an ASBO were sent to prison
- The average sentence given to them was 6.4 months
- The average sentence given to adults who breached an ASBO was just 4.9 months
- The number of children in prison in July 1997 was 2,643. By July 2007, this figure was 3,013 (in April 2008 that figure was 3,012). This is a 14% increase since Labour came to power
For comment on this by Liberal Democrat Shadow Home Secretary Chris Huhne, click here
Read related items on: